I’ve only eaten out a few times since going low sugar, and being a festive friday night we thought we’d give it a shot.
I had a salad with chicken, black beans, and avocado and it SO didn’t work for me. Afterwards, I had serious sugar cravings in the Best Buy when looking at cell phone plans. I couldn’t stop thinking about their giant gumballs. Giant gumballs! How bizarre. Well, on second thought, that’s what I’d stuff in my mouth while browsing there in the past. Maybe it was just history trying to assert itself. Breathing exercises in the check-out line helped me cope (HEHEHE, HOHOHO, HEHEHE).
I was tortured as we stopped by the Redbox to pick up a movie and realized that the craving was probably from not getting enough healthy fat at dinner.
Well, necessity is the mother of invention. Homemade almond butter is delish and the sweet flavor and slightly dense consistency reminds me of cookie dough. So I whipped up a batch in the old food processor, adding salt to taste. Eyeing the semi-sweet chocolate chips, I threw a few in. Cinnamon gives it that homemade feel.
Viola, this is the spitting image of chocolate chip cookie dough.
This dough saved my sanity tonight. Friday night is usually a night of over-indulgence to celebrate the end of the week. I need a few decadent recipes to act as healthy substitutes and special treats if I’m going to stay on track.
UPDATE: Semi-sweet chocolate chips have too much sugar in them for me. I’ll use only 72% cocao dark chocolate in this cookie dough from now on.
Almond Butter “Cookie Dough”- UPDATED (Date Sweetened Option)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Serving size: 1 tablespoon
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 1/2 cup vegan
semi-sweet chocolate chips72% cocao dark chocolate bar, crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
For a creamier, sweeter option:
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- 1/4 or more of a medjool date, pitted
- If you’re using a dark chocolate bar, process in food processor until chunky.
- Remove and place the almonds in the processor and blend for 10 minutes. Add salt and cinnamon to taste. Process for up to ten additional minutes or until desired creaminess. For full creaminess, I go for almost 20 minutes.
- Optional: For a more decadent dough, add 1 TBSP coconut oil and 1/4 of a medjool date. Add as much date as you’d like to create your desired sweetness.
- Cool the almond butter, then mix in 1/2 cup of
chocolate chips72% cocao dark chocolate chunks.
- Store in a jar in the fridge to keep the almond oils from going rancid.