Christmas came early for this girl from Charlottesville, VA!
I discovered the perfect gadget for the gluten-free kitchen, thanks to Oh She Glows.
I tried it on yellow squash, zucchini, carrots, and broccoli stems (after I peeled them).
Not wanting to chop my fingers to ribbons, I rested the vegetable against a cutting board while applying gentle pressure and pulling the peeler down. I also stopped cutting when I reached the seeds. I just flipped it over to work from the other side.
Then I sautéed them for a few minutes until tender and smothered them with my cashew cream sauce and a sprinkle of fresh thyme.
Easy cheesy goodness!
Note: This post does not contain affiliate links.
This recipe was shared with the following blog communities: My Meatless Mondays, Melt In Your Mouth Mondays, Make Your Own Mondays, Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Wellness Weekend and Gluten-Free Fridays, Healthy Vegan Friday, and Allergy Friendly Friday.
Julienned Vegetable Alfredo (Vegan and Gluten-free)
From Part-Time Health Nut.com
- Julienned broccoli stems
- Julienned green zucchini
- Julienned yellow squash
- Julienned carrots
- 1 cup cashews
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- 3 TBSPs nutritional yeast
- 1 clove crushed garlic (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh thyme to garnish
- Grind the cashews in a food processor to make cashew meal.
- Heat a large skillet on medium. Add oil and once it’s warm, add cashews.
- Cook for about a minute, stirring continuously. Reduce heat to medium-low and keep stirring until you have a nice paste and the nuts begin to toast.
- Add a crushed garlic clove (if using), nutritional yeast, and salt. Allow these flavors to incorporate. Taste and alter seasonings according to your palate.
- Whisk in one cup of milk. Cook gently without boiling to thicken (around 5 minutes).
- Meanwhile, warm a large skillet on medium heat. Coat with olive oil. Add julienned vegetables and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Plate vegetables and top with cream sauce, a sprinkle of fresh thyme, and fresh ground pepper.