I think I need a Quinoa intervention. I mean really.
I burnt out the motor of my nut and seed mill with all the grinding.
And I’m putting it in everything.
So naturally, I’d experiment with bread. The planning began as soon as I wiped the last crumb of Millet Chickpea Quick Bread (MCQB) off my chin.
I count on my quinoa baked goods to be moist, which is very appealing since the MCQB was…dense and waxy. Quinoa also doesn’t stick in my craw the way almond flour can.
I did push the envelope a bit. With a…brace yourself, this is exciting…I used a non-dairy milk wash to brown the crust. I know, I’m out of control over here.
I also threw in some gluten-free quick yeast for the taste. There wasn’t enough sugar for it to work as a leavening agent. And I actually couldn’t really taste the yeast. I’ll probably leave it out next time.
But hey, this is me living on the edge of my comfort zone, clutching a big jar of applesauce, and making the magic happen.
Quinoa Quick Bread
Makes: 1 medium loaf, about 15 slices Cook time: 50 minutes Oven temp: 375 degrees F Baking Pan: 8.5” by 4.5”
- 1 packet instant yeast (2 and 1/4 tsp.)
- 1/4 cup water at 95 degrees F
- 2 cups quinoa flour
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 eggs or 2 flax eggs
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk, plus more for brushing
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare a 8.5” by 4.5” loaf pan by lining it with parchment paper and lightly spritzing with oil.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup of 95 degree F warm water.
- In a large bowl, mix together quinoa flour, quinoa flakes, salt and baking soda.
- Melt the coconut oil over low heat in a small pot. Remove from heat as soon as melted, about 3 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add applesauce, milk and yeast. Add the melted coconut oil and mix.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir to incorporate. It will be thick and your wooden spoon will stand up straight when inserted.
- Spoon into loaf pan and lightly brush the top with non-dairy milk.
- Bake for 50 minutes and until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Store in refrigerator or slice and freeze and remove one piece as you need it.
Serving Size: 1 slice, Calories: 141,Carbohydrates: 16.1g, Protein:3.4g, Fat:6.9g, Fiber:1.6g
Please note: Nutritional information is not guaranteed and will vary based on the ingredients used.