This meal looks like something you’d get in a bar.
But these good lookin’ breaded strips are tofu!
We paired them with a salad smothered in cilantro honey-lime vinaigrette. But they’re also a great companion for your favorite dipping sauce. Like ketchup or homemade ranch dressing.
Why does faux fried food always feel like a party?
Let’s blame it on my college bar hopping days.
Crunchy Breaded Tofu Strips
Makes: About 15 strips Cook time: About 25 minutes Oven temp: 425 degrees F
- One 16 ounce block of extra firm tofu (look for organic, non-GMO tofu)
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour or starch
- 2 tsps. smoked paprika for flour mix and 1/2 tsp. for cracker meal
- 1 tsp. salt for flour mix plus 1 and 1/2 tsp. for cracker mixture
- 2 T nutritional yeast for flour mix plus 2 T for cracker mixture
- ½ cup unsweetened non-dairy yogurt plus ½ cup nondairy milk
- 2 flax eggs (2 T ground flax plus 6 T water, mixed well and refrigerated for 10 minutes)
- 1 and 1/2 cups finely ground
Nut ThinsBaked Brown Rice Snaps*
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper (cayenne)
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- Press one 16 ounce block of tofu. Wrap it in a kitchen towel and place several cookbooks or a heavy skillet on top for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cover a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Make flax eggs by combining ground flax and water. Place in refrigerator to gel for about ten minutes.
- Slice tofu in half lengthwise. Slice into strips between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick. You’ll have about 18 strips, although you won’t use a few of them.
- Finely grind
Nut ThinsBrown Rice Snaps* in food processor.
- Pull out three medium bowls and a plate.
- In the first bowl, combine chickpea flour, tapioca flour, smoked paprika, salt and 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast. Stir to combine.
- In bowl number two, combine the flax eggs, yogurt and non-dairy milk. Stir well to combine.
- In the third bowl, combine the finely ground
Nut ThinsBrown Rice Snaps*, 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast, 1 and 1/2 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne powder and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Taste and adjust seasonings according to your taste buds. Pour a thin layer on the plate and reserve the remaining crumbs in the bowl to the side.
- Dunk strips in flour mixture and then the yogurt. Let the extra yogurt drop off the strip and then place in the thin layer of crumb mixture. Sprinkle the tofu with remaining crumb mixture to coat. If the crumbs absorb too much moisture from dipping multiple strips, it’s hard to get them to stick to the tofu. To prevent that, sprinkle and press the crumbs to the strips rather than just dropping them directly into a big pile of crumbs and tossing.
- Place on baking sheet, leaving space between so they can brown.
- Place in the oven. Bake for 12 minutes and flip each strip over using tongs. Bake for an additional 12 minutes or until very crispy.
- They’re best reheated in the oven. The microwave makes them…floppy.
*UPDATE: Baked Brown Rice Snaps are vegan and gluten free. Nut Thins are gluten free but not vegan (milk).
Serving Size: 1 strip Calories: 133 Carbohydrates: 16g Protein: 7.5g, Fat: 4.2g, Fiber: 2.2g
Please note: Nutritional information is not guaranteed and will vary based on the ingredients used.