What’s that you say?
Not a big fan of vegetables for breakfast?
Well, not if they look like this.
But what if they’re in a warm, mild and soothing mug like this?
Using any vegetables I have on hand, I throw some together every Sunday for a fantastic pot of vitamin filled goodness.
It’s a lifesaver since I’m on veggies three times a day for my magnesium deficiency.
Think of it as a cold weather green smoothie. Because who wants to drink a cold smoothie on a winter morning?
Mild and Soothing Vegetable Breakfast Soup
Cook time: 30-45 minutes, depending on quantity
Use whatever vegetables you have on-hand and cover with vegetable broth or water to simmer. Here’s what I used for this pot:
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 celery stems, chopped
- 5 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 sprigs of fresh oregano, removed from stem and minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 kale stems, removed from stem and in bite-sized pieces
- 3 broccoli stalks, sliced thin
- 1 broccoli head, chopped into chunks
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 1 summer squash, diced
- Filtered water or veggie broth
- Chop and dice your veggies. The smaller the pieces, the quicker they’ll cook.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add olive oil. Sauté onion, celery and mushrooms until sweating, about 5 minutes. Add salt or spices.
- Add remaining vegetables.
- Add water or broth, covering by an inch.
- Raise heat to medium high to boil, then lower to medium to simmer.
- Simmer uncovered until veggies are very tender.
- Using a hand immersion blender, pulverize vegetables until creamy.
- Store in a covered pitcher and reheat by the mug-full.
Serving Size: 1 cup Calories: About 100 Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 5.3g Fat: 3.1g Protein: 5.7g
Nutritional information may vary based on ingredients used and is not guaranteed.