I have a completely unresearched theory that goes like this.
People bring the dish they most want to eat to a potluck.
Ergo, my contribution to this year’s family Easter potluck; a light salad and easy smoked salmon. Goat chevre will make a rare appearance along with some gluten-free crackers.
Trader Joe’s has super-cute mache greens, complete with little roots and a mild nutty taste.
Combining it with lightly steamed English peas, radish rounds, and a fresh Meyer lemon and poppy seed vinaigrette make for a deliciously simple salad.
Did I mention that I’m also bringing my dark chocolate cups with orange curacao cream?
But of course. I won’t leave home without them!
Tender Spring Green Salad
Makes: Two servings (with some dressing leftover), Prep time: 5 minutes
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed from one Meyer lemon
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. poppy seed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup shelled English sweet peas (from the fresh produce aisle)
- 4 cups mache greens (also called lamb’s lettuce)
- Two radishes, sliced into paper-thin disks.
- For the dressing, in a small bowl combine the lemon juice, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and salt. Using a hand immersion blender, slowly add olive oil, while blending. If you don’t have an immersion blender, add dressing contents to a small jar and shake well to blend. Add poppy seeds and stir to combine.
- Place sweet peas in a small bowl. Just cover with water. Microwave on high for 60 seconds or until fork tender. Immediately immerse in cold water to stop cooking and preserve vibrant green color. Peas are served room temperature.
- Toss four cups of mache and peas with half the salad dressing. Garnish with several radish slices. Taste and adjust seasonings based on your palate.
- Serve immediately. Citrus-based dressings lose their citrus flavor after about an hour so they’re best made right before serving.
Serving Size: About 2 cups, Calories: 139,Carbohydrates: 5.3g, Protein:1.6g, Fat:12.9g, Fiber:1.4g
Please note: Nutritional information is not guaranteed and will vary based on the ingredients used.